YOGA TEACHER TRAINING INSTRUCTORS
There are scores of yoga teacher training instructors in Denver, too many to count. Every trainer is unique and hopefully has something very valuable to share with you. Here is the list of our primary instructors. Perhaps you can see yourself learning from what they have to offer.
Derik Eselius (ERYT 1000) – Lead Trainer
I first encountered yoga in 1991, just after High School, on an extended journey around the globe. India was one of the stops, where I met Baba Hari Dass, a life long yogic adept. I arrived at the inception point of what is a lifelong commitment and quest.
Since that time, I studied asana in depth with world class teachers including; Ramanand Patel, Tias Little and Richard Freeman. I credit Baba Hari Dass and Yogarupa Rod Stryker (whom I met in 2011) for teaching me the internal practice of yoga. These two teachers elevated my practice on a spiritual platform. All of these teachers supported me to live more graciously in the world, become more loving, and making meaningful contributions to society and to students.
Like many people who take up yoga, I naturally wanted to share it with others. In 2003, my wife and I started Denver Yoga Underground. Our school is dedicated to in-depth study, including: grassroots style yoga workshops, retreats and yoga teacher training. DYU as a safe haven for a diversity of people who may prefer to study traditional yoga outside of a conventional studio setting.
In reflection, I did not plan to become a yoga teacher training instructors, I just followed my heart and this is where I wound up. I’m also a professor at Metro State College and teach for-credit, Hatha Yoga courses. It brings me great joy to share what made such a lasting impression on my life so many decades ago.
In my view, all experiences, whether “positive” or “negative” are an opportunity to develop character and grow into our spiritual practice.
I have made yoga a life long pursuit over the past 30 years.
Here are some of the highlights:
- First introduction to Hatha Yoga under the tutelage of Badri Dass and Baba Hari Dass in Hardiwar India (1991)
- Dedicated student of Iyengar Yoga Method (1992-2000)
- Month long asana training course at the Yoga Training Center in Varanasi India (1997)
- Month long training intensive at Omkar Ananda Ganga Sedan in Rishikesh India with Senior Iyengar Yoga Teacher Zubin Zarthoshtimanesh (1998)
- Month long training intensive at the Yoga Study Center in Rishikesh India with with Senior Iyengar Yoga Teacher Rudra Dev (1998)
- Resident at Mount Madonna Center in Northern California (1998) and satsang member from 1990 to present. MMC is residential yoga community and retreat established by Baba Hari Dass in 1976.
- First 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training at the Mount Madonna Center (2001)
- Began teaching full time (2001 – present)
- Completed 300 hour training at the Mount Madonna Center (2006)
- Completed 200 hour training with Tias Little (2010)
- Completed over a dozen 5 day Para Yoga Master Trainings (450 plus hours) with Yogarupa Rod Stryker in Carbondale Colorado (2011 – 2018).
- Regularly assist Rod at his trainings here in Denver (2018-2020)
Derik’s First Yoga Training Certificate, Cir. 1997
Brenna Hatami N.D. (ERYT 500)
Dr. Hatami is a long time teacher and student of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. She first encountered yoga in 1989 while on a casual bike ride through Washington Park. From there, she then went on to study Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga with Richard Freeman in Boulder. As a result of her study with Richard, she then went to India to study with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois directly. Tim Miller another one of her early teachers.
Brenna first met Baba Hari Dass in 2001 and quickly became a dedicated student. She received her 500 hr. certification through The Mount Madonna Center in Northern California under Baba Hari Dass’ tutelage and with his senior students.
Brenna is also a Primary Care Physician and graduated from the South West College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1998 with a doctorate in Natural Medicine. Students often express their appreciation for her warm and welcoming demur.
Denver Yoga Underground’s First Flyer, Cir. 2003
Featuring Brenna Hatami
Beth Sanchez (ERYT-500) – Lead Ayurveda Teacher
Beth began teaching yoga in 2000 and instructing students in the science of ayurveda in 2005. She specializes in the bridge between an ayurvedic lifestyle and yoga practice. A dedicated social justice advocate, she hosts weekly meditation circles (in the tradition of Thich That Hahn) in her home. She also has the most wonderful permaculture garden in her front and back yards. She aspires to help students to awaken their true nature and to work for good in the world. Beth is also a dedicated social justice advocate and lives by the principles of Engaged Buddhism. Visit www.bethsanchezyoga.net.
Love Letter From Past Students
Additional Guest Presenters
- Yoga for the People – Learn about opportunities to begin teaching right away
- Tushta Sato – Receive the wisdom and guidance of a dedicated life-long yogi
- Nafeeha Johnson – Learn the esoteric forms of yoga from Nafeeha’s decades of dedicated study of meditation and the yogic arts
- Sudarshan Mcrea – Vedic astrologer and ritual officiant
- Denver Yoga Underground Graduates – Be informed about what it is like to teach in the communities and future teaching opportunities